Sunday, January 13, 2013

Driving

I remember when I used to love driving.  I wanted to drive everywhere and could not wait to get my drivers license.  Now that I have to do it every day, I despise it.  I value public transport so much more.  Give me a train, bus, metro, tram, etc. any day over driving a car.  It is over-rated!

When being away for my brother's wedding and Christmas, I only drove a car once in the time period from December 7th until January 2nd.  It was great!  A funny thing happened though when I drove for those first couple days...I actually enjoyed it again!  Maybe it was because the sun was out, maybe it was that I was not used to it anymore, I don't know, but it was a nice feeling.

Right now, I am back to the point where I don't really like it again.  It just gets old, going i back and forth every day to the same place, dealing with traffic, not being comfortable in the car while wearing a coat and scarf, having to concentrate on the road and not being able to relax.  I just don't like it.  I think of the time that I wast on it every day and it just does not make me happy.  At least if I was on public transport I could be doing something constructive like reading.  I really despise having to work in Uithoorn, I like my job, just not the location of it.

I've been doing this drive now for almost three years and for some reason I just cannot get used to it.  I miss the 67H in Pittsburgh.  10-15 minutes each way walk a couple blocks and that was it.  Plus you got to know the people at the bus stop and on the bus and it was nice.  You don't have any of that with driving, just a whole bunch of frustration.  I miss talking to Carrie and Ashley and all of the other people that I did not even know their names.  I miss listening to interesting conversations going on around me, I miss being able to rest my eyes and not worry about what's happening on the road so early in the morning.  I miss working in a city!!!  I miss working and living in the same city.

I think this year I need to come up with some kind of balance between going to work and working from home.  Just to keep my sanity.  Driving to and from work ~30 km each way every day is really getting to me and I am not a happy person when I am doing it.  I don't want to know ever go into work, that would be really boring, but maybe I could negotiate some kind to flexible schedule where I only physically go to work a few days a week because lets be honest... I can to pretty much my entire job (at least the part of it when I am not in Amsterdam or Clichy) from anywhere in the world as long as it has an Internet connection.

Has anyone ever tried to do this at their job?  If so, how did it go?

No comments: