Sunday, December 2, 2012

Düsseldorf


Took the day off from work on Friday and hopped on the ICE over to Düsseldorf, Germany to check out the city and also finally see a German Christmas market that I've heard so much about.  The train ride was a short 2 hour and some minute journey and was relaxing with the reclining seats and a good book that I am currently reading.  Upon arrival, I walked to my hotel only to find that they overbooked and had to send me somewhere else.  Luckily they had a partner hotel not far away so they sent me there and paid for my breakfast and minibar.  Not bad, but I would have preferred to stay in the hotel I booked since it was cooler than the one I ended up in.  O well.

The city was bigger than I expected and had a lot of good shopping.  Apparently the street they call Kö is the Champs-Élysées of Germany.  I did end up buying a nice jacket so I was happy about that.  The Christmas markets were actually all over, it was not just one.  The food and drinks were pretty good and it was basically the only place I ate while I was there instead of going to a restaurant.  I would recommend a German Christmas market to anyone that's interested.  They really take the time to make the whole city look great so it's worth the trip.

No comments: