Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Ride with the Train in NL


On Saturday I used on of the unlimited train ride tickets that I have and visited Leeuwarden, Zwolle, and Hoek van Holland.  It was a nice day and I got to see a lot of things.

The first stop was Leeuwarden which is the capital of Friesland.  I was was looking forward to going here since in Friesland they also speak in Fries instead of only in Dutch and I wanted to hear what that sounded like.  After getting there besides for a few signs on tourist locations, everything was in Dutch and everyone was speaking in Dutch, even the old people.  It was kinda unexpected, but o well, the city was still nice to see.  I bought a book there called Gehaaid (English version is "The Raw Shark Texts")  So far the book is pretty interesting and different.  I really like it and can't believe it was on the bargen table for only €2,50!  It definitely kept me busy during all the train riding I was doing.

Next was Zwolle.  This city is in the eastern part of the country.  Also a nice place to walk around.  here just as in Leeuwarden I walked around the center and took a bunch of pictures.  I also bought some stuff at this one store and was taken aback when the woman at the register answered me in English!  Wow, that hasn't happened for a long time.  I tried not to let it bother me too much, but it did get to me just a little.

And finally was Hoek van Holland.  This is a beach/port town that is close to Rotterdam.  The beach was quite small compared to Zandvoort but the port was huge!  There were cruise ships and a ton of industry.  The pier pictured above was really really long as you can see from the picture.  This is me at the end looking back and the beach to the left and port to the right.  It was incredibly windy there too, wow!

It was a good day overall and I got to see three more places in Holland.  I still have another ticket and I already have some places planned that I want to see.

As always, if you want to see the pictures from this trip, they can be found in my Holland album, newest pictures at the beginning:

Holland Sites

No comments: