Here I am in my hotel room in France at night...with the window open! It is such a great feeling to be able to do this! :-) Spring is coming, the end of the cold cold weather for a change and finally time to sit outside and enjoy.
In addition I got to thinking about what exactly I did today...now it does not seam like such a big deal, but if I think about where I've come from, I guess it really is. Today:
- I woke up in Haalem, The Netherlands and took a train to Amsterdam
- From Amsterdam I casually waited in the first class lounge and then got on a high speed train headed south
- The high speed train blazed through Holland, Belgium, and France until I arrived in Paris
- While on the train I had a conversation in Dutch with some people sitting around me and answered the different attendants in Dutch or French (depending on how the greeted me)
- I got off the train, grabbed a quick and headed directly to the RER (kinda in between a metro and a real train)
- I took the RER to another station in Paris and from there got on a normal French train.
- I ate my lunch while in the train and arrived in Clichy
- I strolled into the datacenter, saw some people I knew who let me in, and began my day working in France.
Tonight I was doing some grocery shopping in a French grocery store (I really don't need to be a tourist every time I am in Paris, I'm here enough) and got to thinking how lucky I am. I wanted to supplement my pantry with some French items, so I just go to a grocery store in France, how many people can say they can so easily do such a thing?
I'm not at all trying to brag, but just reflect on how my life has really changed. Sure I miss some of the things from Pittsburgh (that I don't think will ever change) but right now, I am really happy with the way I am living.