Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pitt Story

This is a story I just submitted to Pitt (The University of Pittsburgh) for it's 225 year anniversary.


Back in 2001 when I was trying to figure out where I wanted to go to college, I thought I had it all figured out.  I wanted to go to Penn State (of all places!)  I was set on going there and happened to come across something somewhere online that said if you come to visit Pitt and check out the college, they would give you free tickets to a football game after, so of course I signed up!  After driving up to the campus which was right smack in the heart of Pittsburgh, I knew this place was going to be for me.  I remember walking around int he little tour group that we were in being amazed at how great everything was, how cool the old buildings were, and that it would be so easy to get to just about anywhere interesting in the city.  After about half way through the tour, I knew this was the place for me, I was hooked and the tour was not even over at that point.  We went to the game, and honestly, I can't even tell you if Pitt won that day or not, I was too busy thinking about going to school at Pitt and living in Oakland.

When application time came around, I only applied at Pitt because I just knew it was the place for me.  When I got accepted, I was so excited, I could not wait to start.  Seeing that ad online turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me.  I ended up having the best four years of my life at Pitt and I would not trade it for anything.  I met so many interesting people, made a lot a great friends, learned so many interesting things, and really grew into the man that I am today.  And just think, it is all because I just happened to see an ad one random day while surfing the Internet.

The picture if of us at the tour back in 2001.  I am on the left followed by my friend Dave, brother Mike, and his friend Brian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that picture. That seems like weeks ago instead of years ago. . .I remember that day very well too. You lit up like a Christmas tree and I knew Pitt was definitely it for you. I think you made a very good decision. You're right. It did help shape you into being the wonderful man that you are today. And Pitt misses you terribly. Can't you hear it calling you HOME???
XO MOM