Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Resolutions

Ah, it is time to list my 2012 New Years resolutions.  Over the past couple of years, I have been quite ok at keeping my goals, so lets see what happens this time.  Here are my goals in no particular order:
  • Travel more.  Mainly more weekend trips and not trying to depend on others to make travel plans.  Now that I've been to Prague, I know it's possible to see places on your own.
    • Some places I'd like to go include: Scandinavia, Bruges, Mexico, and maybe somewhere else in Eastern Europe
  • Make a better effort to learn basic French.  With my number of trips to France increasing, I would really like to be able to speak some basic French.  I want to dedicate a few hours per week to learning French.  My biggest obstacle to overcome here is to get it out of my mind that spending time on French is "wasting" time that I could be using on Dutch.
  • Make some new friends.  I have some good friends here in Holland already, but I want to make some more who are more into doing the things I want to do, and more willing to go out on a regular basis.  Would also be nice to get a few more Dutch friends as well (although international friends are also good.)
  • Follow a better diet.  Ever since moving to Europe, I have been letting my diet slip.  I used to be so conscious about what I ate in the US.  While I still do not go crazy here in Europe, I am not at the point where I want to be with it.  My main problem here is time and proximity.  Time because I now have to commute to work and that takes up a good portion of my day (I did not really have to worry about this so much in Pittsburgh.)  Now when I get home I want to scarf down food ASAP and get myself to the gym.  Most of the time I will eat whatever I can get fast.  Proximity is an issue because at work the only lunch option is the cafeteria which does not serve healthy food and I hate packing my own lunch.  My plan is to work on these two points and see where I end up.
  • Stop biting my nails.  I did such a good job almost 2 years ago with this, now I am back doing it in full force.  Stopping with this nasty habit starts NOW!
Well, these are my goals.  Let me know what you think.

What are your goals for 2012?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great goals!
Good Luck!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Forget about your nails Nick. I still bite mine and have done so for 50+ years. No big deal.