Sunday, September 4, 2011

English or Dutch?

Interesting story happened last week at the data center.  My boss and I went there in order to meet with our account manager and the new guy who is responsible for our projects.  Our account manager comes into the room and starts talking in English (the other guy is late.)  So we talk about random things for a while, then he gets a call.  It is the other guy (who of course he is speaking in Dutch to.)  I was laughing at the things happening on the phone and replying to them in Dutch.  Then h switched back to English after getting off the phone, I was a bit annoyed, but ok.

Later the other guy comes in, say hello in Dutch and then proceed to give him a tour of our racks in the data center.  This little tour took about 1/2 hour.  It was for the most part all in Dutch except for a few comments our account manager made to me in English. (annoying)

Then we go back into the office and finally do introductions.  My boss introduces himself in Dutch as did I.  The new guy starts proceeding to introduce himself in Dutch when all of a sudden our account manager is like "wait, wait, Nick, do you understand this?"  I think I shot him a look like are you crazy?  We literally we just speaking in Dutch for 1/2 hour and now he asks me!!

Even though he asked the question in English, I responded in Dutch, "Ya, I understand it!  We do not have to speak in English, I know when Arjan [my boss's boss] is there he thinks I can't understand anything in Dutch so he always says 'OK lets do this in English for Nick' (this pisses me off so bad when he does this) but that is not necessary."  Then the account manager says in English, "okay, because Nick is not Dutch you know."

I'm sitting there like WTF? I'm sure this other guy knows I'm not Dutch and he is not making a big deal about it like you are.

Then finally, my boss jumps in and says (I think in Dutch, but can't remember now) "Ya, Nick and I pretty much have been speaking almost totally in Dutch for the last couple months, this should not be a problem."  Thank you Jeroen!  after that, finally our account manager stopped with all the English BS.

Now in the past this whole situation would have made me mad, but now, I think I'm pretty much over getting mad about things like this.  Was I annoyed? Yes, a little, but not a big deal like it used to be for me.  I actually thought it was a bit funny because of the great lengths this guy was going to try to speak English when, to everyone else in the room (at least from what I could tell,) did not think that it was necessary.

So that's it, just a random story that I thought was kinda funny.

No comments: