Wednesday, September 22, 2010

An American (along with Canadian, Dutchie, and 3 Frenchies) in Paris


Even though this past weekend did not turn out to be a"heel druk pub crawl," it was still pretty cool.  Although I was planning on going to Paris for the weekend, I actually got to go a bit earlier for work.  I found out on Wednesday and left on Thursday.  Kris, Dan, Justin, and I took the van to Paris, dropped our stuff off at the hotel and started to explore.  One of the first famous things that I saw was the Eiffel Tower.  Did you know that it shimmers?:
video

We had some beers and then called it a night.  We were hoping the datacenter work would be quick, the next day but it ended up taking all day until about 5.  After that we went back into the city, did some eating and then met up with the Frenchies.  We had some champagne on the Champs-Élysées and pretty much just hung out at one bar after that.  Kris and I ended up spending an extra night at the hotel because the Frenchies were not sure if they were going to make it into town or not.

The next day, Dan, Justin, Kris and I went to the Eiffel Tower before they took us to Julie's house in the burbs.  We did not end up making it back to Paris until about 4:30.  We saw some really cool sites and we returned to Julia's house later for a BBQ.  One thing that I really enjoyed over the course of the trip was all the bread I ate!

Sunday, we had another BBQ when Julia's parents returned and they made some really good food.  It was also kind of fun because they did not speak English so it was like a bit of a game to figure out what was going on.  Strangely enough, this was not frustrating at all to me.  I think because I knew they could not speak English.

One thing I will say is that it really was crazy being in a country where I didn't know any of the language.  It was kinda like how I felt when I first came to the Netherlands.  It really made me realize that I at least have come along at least a little bit with Dutch and that made me happy.

Sunday, Kris and I had to ride the Thalys (300km/h train) home since Dan and Justin took the van to Belgium on Saturday.  It was nice to ride on a fast train, it was my first time.  I would take this over flying any day!

Although I had a good time, it was much too short, there is so much to see in Paris and I definitely will be back.

No comments: