Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ik heb van het Werk Gefietst Thuis!

[I biked home from work]
{translation could be wrong! :-)}



Today, Kris had to stay after work to do some server room stuff and I really didn't feel like staying this week so I through my bike in his van on the way to work.  While at work, I mapped out my route on Google Maps and set it to walking (biking directions are not available in Holland yet.)  The route looked easy enough, just basically take the N201 pretty much the whole way.  The total ride was going to be 25k exactly and according to Google Maps take 5 hours and 9 minutes if I were to walk.

So the end of the day came and everyone thought I was crazy riding from Uithoorn to Haarlem, but whatever, it's been something that I've been wanting to do.  They all though I was going to get rained on too, I was optimistically thinking that I would not.  The ride for the most part was good.  I only got mixed up for about 5 minutes when there was one little section of the N201 that did not have a bike lane so I had to go on some back roads for about .5k for so.  While passing Skipole I realized how loud those planes are directly overhead when you are not in a car.  When I got to Hoofddorp I got off the N201 and cut through the center of Hoofddorp and then got back on the N201.  When I finally made to to Haarlem I was I was starving.  The trip took about 1 hour and 25 minutes.  There was a lot of start and stop due to red lights, but I though the time was not too bad.  Better than if I would have taken the bus that is for sure.

I thought I was going to have so much time tonight because the bike ride was going to be my workout for the day so I was not going to go to clubsportive later.  But wow, I was so tired I didn't feel like doing much at home anyway.  I finally "woke up" after I took a shower much later.

Would I do it again?
Yes and no.  I would for sure ride home from work again pending that I had nothing I really wanted to get done that night, but I don't think I would ever ride into work.  All I wanted to do when I got home tonight was relax and that is not a good feeling to have when you are at work.  But glad I did it and I felt good about myself.  I definitely earned the cookie that I scarfed down immediately after getting into my apartment!

Ben je geil of wil je een koekji?  Ik wil een koekje alstjeblieft!!  Tenminste dat is wat ik wilde toen! :-)

4 comments:

Nhi said...

hey there, like your blog:)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was quite a bike ride. I'm glad I didn't know about it before you left - I would have been worried sick! Next time try to find someone else as crazy as you (if there is anyone?LOL)to ride with. Anyway, congratulations I think. XO Mom

Indira said...

next time, you could use this site for bikingroutes: http://www.fietsersbond.net/fietsrouteplanner/fietsroutes-noordholland/

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.