Monday, June 7, 2010

Nederlands


Learning Nederlands (Dutch) is so frustrating!  I feel like the more I learn the more frustrating it gets.  I am using Rosetta Stone and while I'm using it, I really feel like I am learning something, but as soon as I am in a real life situation, I have no idea what is going on.  It really makes me feel like an outsider when everyone else is speaking Dutch and I am just sitting there like a stupid dumb ass not knowing what is going on.  Also, I get letters/bills in the mail and have no idea what they say.  It is so frustrating not being able to figure out simple day-to-day things like this.  Yes there is Google translate, but who wants to scan in a 20 page insurance policy and ready a shitty English translation?  Not me!  It just makes me feel really dumb when everyone else here is speaking 2, 3, and 4 languages and I only know 1.  It really makes me fit the dumb American stereotype really well.  I thought starting to learn the language before I moved here would help, and it has a small amount but not nearly as much as I was hoping for.  It really would have been nice if PPG would have sent me to some Dutch classes.  Sometimes it just ruins my whole day just thinking about it.  I want to learn and I want to learn now!!

I wish there was a fast track way of learning a new language but unfortunately there is not.  I just have to keep struggling along and hopefully one day I'll be okay.

If anyone has any suggestions on what helped them learn a new language, I would greatly appreciate it if you can share some tips with me.

No comments: