Sunday, May 2, 2010

Queen's Day

or Koninginnedag as the Dutch call it


(Thanks Meg for commenting on how small I look in this picture...real confidence booster.  Thank God I started back at the gym this week.  I even had to tighten my watch an extra notch!)

It started on Thursday night, the night before Queen's Day, it was Queen's Night.  Kris mad a traditional Dutch dinner for his girlfriend and I called Stamppot.  This was my first real Dutch home cooked meal and I  must say, it was really good.  I'm going to have to make that once my shipment arrives (that is a whole other story!)  Stamppot is mashed potatoes with endive and bacon-like pork all mixed together with a piece of sausage on top.  After that we took the train in to Amsterdam to meet up with Eric.  Here we all are in our matching Holland shirts (ha!)  There were a lot of people out drinking in Amsterdam that night, most people were wearing orange and there were concerts on the streets.  It was a good time but we wanted to get the last train home (around 1) instead of having to take the night bus.  I wanted to make sure I was going to be able to enjoy the actual day.  Next year since it won't be my first time anymore, I'll be sure to stay out much later.

Queen's Day itself if crazy.  There are people everywhere all wearing orange, drinking beer, and ether selling or buying cheep stuff.  We went back to Amsterdam and walked through a bunch of the makeshift markets residents set up to sell all of their junk.  This was not in just one little section, people were selling stuff everywhere.  We made our way through the people selling stuff and checked out Museumplein and Leidesplein.  Both are big squares in Amsterdam and both were packed with people listening to free concerts and drinking beer.  Even though both of these squares were packed (and I'm sure all of the other places in Amsterdam were as well,) all the streets were packed too.  I don't think I've ever scene so many people packed into a city before.  It was pretty great.

We left around 4 and it was just in time too because my feet were starting to kill me with all of that walking we did.  Needless to say, we did not go back out that night!

No comments: