Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Since when have I been Allergic to Anything?

I've lived all my life (thankfully) without ever having to worry about allergies or being allergic to anything. It looks like that has changed!  Sunday I decided to do some laundry since I was running low on T-shirts.  I did the wash no problem, went to bed and woke up the next morning with a couple rashes.  I for a long while thought they were bug bites since I saw ants in my room.  As the day progressed, I noticed that the rashes were going away in some places and showing up in others.  Then I noticed some huge ones too.  I was like WTF?  By the end of the work day, they were jumping around all over my body and I was getting a littler nervous.  Later on I called my nurse friend Meg who I always go to for medical advice (thanks Meg!) and she said I was probably allergic to the new laundry detergent or fabric softener. I said no way, I'm not allergic to anything!  So last night, I decided to take a shower and wash my clothes that I was wearing in just water.  (I decided that I was not going back to the hotel since I bought a bed at IKEA and didn't want to go back to the bug or whatever caused me this issue.)  I put my clothes back on after they dried and went to bed...

I could not sleep.  I was thinking about the stupid rushes all night.  Then I noticed I was really itchy all over!  I had HUGE rashes all over.  I was like shit, maybe I am allergic and there was still some soap left in the washer.  I took off my clothes and  tried to go to sleep...didn't end up falling asleep until about 3:30 AM!  Today I got up and I was a little better.  I thought good, this thing is going to go away today.  Well it did not, it just progressed throughout the day even though I took a shower back at the hotel in the morning before work and then put on clothes that were totally unrelated to the wash in any way.

After work, Kris took me to the pharmacy to see if they had Benadryl which Meg suggested the night before and a lot of people on the Internet were walking about.  The woman at the pharmacy had no idea what it even was...she looked it up in some book that I guess has medicines in it from other countries and found a generic form of the drug.  I took the (very small) pill and started noticing almost instantly the itchiness and rashes going away!!!  After I went to the grocery store (since I moved out of the hotel this morning and permanently into the apartment!) I noticed that the rashes were pretty much gone.

Tonight I filled the washer with water and drained it twice.  Then I washed my clothes with just water.  I hope this does the trick.  We will see I guess.  As of right now, I have no rashes and only feel mildly itchy.

This still does not tell me what exactly I am allergic to!  I guess what I am going to have to do is wait until this passes and then dab some detergent on one arm and fabric softener on the other and see which one causes a reaction (unless someone can tell me a better way to determine what I am allergic to.)  This sucks.  How am I ever supposed to know what kind of laundry products I can buy now.  I saw some (I guess from what the pictures looked like on the bottle and that it did not smell or have coloring) hypoallergenic laundry detergent, bet it was about 3 times more expensive  than all of the other ones!  Shit...

O well, hopefully I get this figured out soon so I am able to wash clothes when I need to.

2 comments:

Jaanus said...

I once had exactly the same problem with a fabric softener in Luxembourg. I put too much softener and washed my socks and later they irritated my feet in a similar way. The fix was just to put less softener since it was apparently very heavy duty.

Nick said...

Cool, thanks for the tip!