Monday, March 29, 2010

Living in Irwin

So much has happened over the last couple weeks.  Last weekend Harry and Adam came to hangout and my mom and dad had has a going away party for me at Papa Rocks Pizza.  The party was really nice because I got to see a lot of people that I didn't think I was going to get to see before I leave for Holland.  It was a really good time.

I spent most of last week getting things ready for the movers on Thursday.  I can't believe how much stuff I saved over the three and a half years that I lived on Hempstead.  I gave three stuffed garbage bags to Goodwill and through away at least ten garbage bags full of things I never used or didn't even know I had.  It took me way longer than I ever thought it would to get ready for the movers, especially when I did not even have to pack anything on my own.  The movers were the ones who took everything out of my drawers and cupboards and boxed things up.  The other hard part was I had to inventory everything that I was shipping and come up with a replacement value for it.  I hope I put down all the right values because things are much more expensive in Holland than here.  I was also thinking it might be kind of cool if all of my stuff gets stolen by pirates, just so I get to tell people that my stuff was stolen by pirates.  Haha!  Another thing that was way more expensive and difficult than I would have thought was transferring (or wiring) money overseas.  My two online banks do not do it so I had to transfer money to PNC first.  Then PNC charges you $45 per wire and charges you to convert to Euros as well!  That is ridiculous!!!

On Tuesday I had my going away lunch for work at Las Velas.  Then on Wednesday some people at work had a going away party for me at Bar Louie.

By the time the movers came, I was so stressed out from all of the packing and other random little moving tasks that needed to be done in such a short period of time.  I just could not wait until it was mid to late May!
Finally on Thursday the movers came.  They were there from 8:40 until 3:15.  I was so hungry by the time they left.  I felt so weird just standing there watching there do everything.  I wanted to help, but knew that I couldn't if I wanted my stuff to be insured.  When the moving truck pulled away, I watched most of my possessions go right along with it.  They are on their way to Baltimore and eventually Rotterdam and finally (at some point) Haarlem.  Then since I had nothing left in my apartment, I moved in with mom and dad and am staying here until I move.

Dad took me to and from work on Friday and it was my last day at PPG in Pittsburgh.  It was kinda strange, because it really didn't feel like my last day.  I hope I remembered to say goodbye to everyone.

Yesterday I woke up early to go clean my apartment.  Driving in to the city for this one last time was really starting to make me sad.  I started thinking about all the good times I had at my first apartment on my own.  Cleaning took way longer than I thought and I ran out of paper towels half way through so I had to stop and go to Giant Eagle.  There was so much dust in that place, it was crazy.  I think the skin on my hands was starting to dissolve too because the only cleaning supply I had left to use was Lime Away, and I used it to clean everything,  Erin W stopped up to say goodbye and that made me sad too.  I hope I have cool neighbors that are my age in Haarlem too.  Then when I was finally done cleaning, I took out the trash one last time and came up and gave the place one last look.  It was really sad closing and locking the door for the last time.  I drove to Walnut Capital to turn in my keys and garage door opener and officially became homeless...
The rest of the day I spent with Aunt Tama, Uncle Vince, and Amanda who came up from Virginia to see me.

Today I went around with mom and dad for lunch and a bit of shopping with them.  They bought a web cam because they want to Skype with me while I am away.  I'm interested to see if they will actually use it.  Here is a picture of me from the cam I just setup for them:

Tomorrow I have a few more things to take care of, one of which is hopefully to sell my Mustang, Justin already bought the Saturn.  I also am going to have lunch with my mom at her work and go say goodbye to Meem.  I think Erin and Angela are going to come over tomorrow night as well.  Then...Tuesday I have a one way ticket to Amsterdam!  Wow, I can't believe the time is almost here for me to be a European.  Time really flew by since October when I first started talking about this move with my boss, but I think I can finally say that I am pretty much ready at this point.  Europe, here I come!

1 comment:

Arwen said...

I'm so interested to read about your new adventures!