Tuesday, February 2, 2010

5644 Hempstead


5644 Hempstead Street was my first "real" apartment that I had after graduating from college.  I can't believe I've lived here for three and a half years!  When I first moved in to this place, everything was brand new.  I was pealing plastic off of all of the appliances and the whole place smelled like new carpet.  I was so excited to finally have a place of my own.  The cool thing about moving into this place was that Walnut Capital just renovated the entire building and when I moved on on August 1 2006, so did everyone else in the building.  We were all pretty much young professionals and although we were not best friends, we hung out from time-to-time.  It was nice to be living in a building with people that were all my age.

The apartment is in a great location, a very short walk to Schenley Park and a short walk of about the same distance to Murray Avenue.  This location was great because you have the best of both worlds, the vast open spaces and many outdoor amenities of the park and the city feel with shops restaurants and bars in the other direction.  The 67H bus is also right here to take me to work while the 61's were not far off if I wanted to go to Oakland or stay Downtown later.

Although for the most part I really liked living here, there were a few things that really started to bother me as time went on.  I hated not having my own washer and dryer and having to either wait for other people to take their laundry out of the machines, or realize at the last minute that I did not have any quarters.  The shower water is crazy!  It gets either totally hot or totally cold with no warning.  It is not common to burn and freeze yourself in the shower multiple times per day.  Finally, parking is terrible around here.  My entire street is 12 unit apartments on each side of the street with similar apartment buildings on the neighbouring streets.  To make things worse, you are only allowed to park on one side of my street.  This is not good when you want to have people over or when you drive home later at night.  Parking is just terrible.  Other than that and the tiny kitchen I think Hempstead did me well over the past few years and I have no regrets living here.

I will really miss this place and the neighbourhood.  Squirrel Hill is a really cool place, it's great to walk down the street and almost always see a familiar friendly face (at lease when it's not winter!) and be able to walk to almost anything you could need.

My time left in this place is short.  It is going to be hard to leave a city that I've come to love so much over the past seven and a half years of living here.  I'm made a lot of really good friends, had some really fun times, and learned a lot.  It is going to be a bitter sweat ending for me leaving Pittsburgh, I will miss my friends and family a lot, but at the same time I am really looking forward to a new adventure in a new city (continent!) and starting the next chapter of my life.

4 comments:

Brad said...

Where are you going???

Brad said...

Also, it's true — parking is difficult for guests.

Nick said...

Holland

Jason said...

wow you love bitter sweat?